Monday, July 27, 2009

TIMELESS SPIRAL—"I'm Still Here" x 6

In the final act of Stephen Sondheim's Follies, the leading characters' emotional troubles are reflected as a string of vaudeville-style numbers before returning to the theatre for the end of the reunion party. The plum supporting role of Carlotta Campion, the seen-it-all ex-Follies girl who sings the showstopping "I'm Still Here," was created by Yvonne De Carlo in 1971, and has subsequently often been given to a celebrated veteran performer. What follows are some of my favorites.

Yvonne DeCarlo from the 1979 Follies television special:



Yvonne DeCarlo on David Frost:



Eartha Kitt at the Olivier Awards during her run in Follies in the late 1980s:



Eartha Kitt at a 1986 Canadian Concert, Redux and Even More Relevant:



Shirley MacLaine from Postcards From The Edge:



Carol Burnett at the 1985 Lincoln Center "Follies in Concert."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I abhor musical theater -- yes, I know, a humiliating admission -- but I was once talked into going to see Follies in London with friends. Eartha Kitt's singing "I'm Still Here" is the only thing I recall. Fortunately.

Mike Black

Maya said...

Have you and Michael Hawley already discussed this? He saw Kitt in the London production as well.

Jay, aka The Angry Little Man said...

The London production I saw had Dolores Gray as Carlotta. I don't remember her as much as Dame Diana Rigg doing the striptease in the second act...! And Julia Mackenzie's incredible Dorothy!