Tuesday, April 27, 2010

FILM & FOOD: Sundance Kabuki Cinema—Who Wants a Knuckle Samwick?

The 53rd San Francisco International Film Festival started last week; one of its main venues being the Sundance Kabuki Cinema located near the intersection of Fillmore and Geary. In that neighborhood, there are plenty of options for food and guest columnist Andy Samwick suggests a few.

Sundance Kabuki Cinemas
1881 Post Street (at Fillmore), San Francisco
(415) 346-3243
Bus lines: 22 Fillmore, 38 Geary, 38L Geary Limited, 2 Clement, 3 Jackson, 4 Sutter
Parking: parking garage below the cinema.

* * *

I always love eating at SPQR, for example. They are open for brunch on weekends and dinner most nights. They have an excellent wine selection and great Italian fare prepared by Executive Chef, Matthew Accarrino. One of the highlights for me are the spiced ricotta fritters with smoked maple syrup. Truly a dish not to be missed. I can say the same for the grilled wild salmon belly with golden raisin saor and pepper jam. It is remarkably unique. Another innovative dish I like is the crispy pig's ear, pickled jalapeno, tomatillo & radish. I recently had that with a friend at dinner and we were pretty much blown away. At different times I have had the quail and the sole as a main course and have never been disappointed by either. And make sure you save room for dessert! The milk chocolate gelato and buttermilk crumble with candied almonds are outstanding. I love the passion fruit panna cotta too with the coconut spuma and coconut macaroons. Yum.

SPQR
1911 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA
(415) 771-7779

If you don't want to spend a lot on your meal, may I suggest venturing for comfort food at The Grove? I love the macaroni and cheese made with jack, cheddar, fontina and point reyes blue cheeses. Sometimes, I go for the healthy classic caesar with roasted chicken or a "Berkeley Bowl" with sweet 100 tomatoes, English cucumbers, red onions, ripe avocado, roasted peppers, alfalfa sprouts and garbonzo beans piled on Scarborough Farms spring mix dressed with homemade ranch dressing.

The Grove also proudly serves Jeremiah's Pick espresso and coffee. I have been known to get a macchiato with a giant homemade chocolate chip cookie or Rice Crispy treat. It is a cozy atmosphere and one of the nicest spots in the neighborhood.

The Grove
2016 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA
(415) 474-1419

One of my favorite new places near the Sundance Kabuki has to be the
Pizzeria Delfina on California Street, which I recently featured at my site You Want a Knuckle Samwick! Their pizzas are some the best San Francisco has to offer. The antipasti is very good, especially their fresh stretched mozzarella. I have to do a lot of stretching after I eat there! Even the insalata tricolore with lemon vinaigrette and grana padano is delicious, if you decide to eat on the lighter side. My favorite pizza has to be prosciutto di parma, caciocavallo, mozzarella, panna, arugula. Oh, and the 4 formaggi, of course.

Pizzeria Delfina
2406 California Street
San Francisco, CA
(415) 440-1189

If you like Mediterranean cuisine, you should definitely try La Méditerraneé. I usually get the Middle Eastern Plate because you have the choice of chicken pomegranate, chicken Cilicia, Grecian spinach & feta, cheese Karni, falafel, Levantine meat tart, dolma, Levant sandwich, and lamb lule. You are limited to three selections but if you bring friends, that always helps. I love their hummos and baba ghanoush too and I frequently order the lentil salad. Brunch is a treat and a great value. You get so much food!

La Méditerraneé
2210 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA
(415) 921-2956