Monday, April 18, 2011


Now that PFA's lustrous retrospective "Under the Skin: The Films of Claire Denis" has wrapped, my memory invites select scenes out onto the dance floor.

U.S. Go Home (1994)

Nénette & Boni (1996)

Beau Travail (1999)

Vers Mathilde (2005)

35 Shots of Rum (2008)


Chris Knipp said...

This is a great set, Michael. Grégoire Colin dancing in US GO HOME is priceless. I had never seen that. The dance sequence in 35 SHOTS OF RUM is classic and ties them all together.

Maya said...

Hey Chris, thanks for stopping by to comment. I caught that scene from U.S. Go Home at the PFA retrospective of Denis' films and, I agree, it's just a great moment of film. I've been looking for any kind of paper that's been written on the dance sequences in Denis's films but haven't found anything to date. The one clip I regretted not being able to find was from I Can't Sleep where the two brothers are dancing with their mother.